How to complain about health services in Islington

Who you need to contact when you want to complain about a health service.

When should I complain?

As soon as possible. Complaints should be made within 12 months of the date of the event that you're complaining about.

Who do I complain to?

There are many different providers of healthcare in Islington. When you want to make a complaint, you normally  complain directly to the provider of the service. However, you can complain to the organisation that funds them instead.

If you are unsure  how to complain directly to the provider, you can ask them to give you a copy of their complaints procedure. This will tell you who to contact, how they will handle your complaint, and how they will learn from your complaint.

How do I complain about primary care (GPs, dentists, pharmacies and opticians)?

You can either complain directly to the provider (which may be better for informal and quick resolution) or you can complain to NHS England, which funds these services. Complaints cannot be raised with NHS England if they have been made to the provider first.

NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT

0300 311 2233

How do I complain about local hospitals

Although hospital services are funded by the Clinical Commissioning Group, if you would like to complain about a hospital service you should do so to the hospital directly.

You should contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (better known as PALS) at the hospital.

Whittington Health Patient Advice and Liaison Service

020 7288 5551

University College Hospitals Patient Advice and Liaison Service
(for informal and quick resolution)

020 3447 3042

But to make a formal complaint about University College Hospitals:

020 3447 7413

The Royal Free Hospital Patient Advice and Liaison Service

020 7472 6446

Moorfields Eye Hospital Patient Advice and Liaison Service

020 7566 2324/2325

How do I complain about ambulance services

Complain to the Patient Experiences Department at the London Ambulance Service.

Patient Experiences Department, Units 1&2 Datapoint Business Centre, 6 South Crescent, London E16 4TL

020 7837 1663

How do I complain about non-emergency patient transport for hospitals?

Patients should complain to the PALS office at the hospital where the transport was arranged.

How do I complain about community health services?

Community health services include physiotherapy, podiatry (foot health), district nursing and health visiting, as well as the Urgent Care Centre. These services are provided by Whittington Health.

Whittington Health Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

020 7288 5551

How do I complain about mental health services?

In Islington, mental health services are provided by the Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust. Contact their Advice and Complaints Service.

020 3317 3117

How do I complain about 111 or the GP out of hours service?

These services have been merged into a single service called Integrated Urgent Care. It is delivered by London Central and West Unscheduled Care Collaborative. Contact the Chief Executive:

020 8962 7713

North Central London Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)

If you have a complaint relating to the way an NHS service has been commissioned, or you have been directly affected by a commissioning decision , you can contact the CCG via email.

Can I get help to make my complaint?

If you need support to make a complaint you can contact NHS Complaints Advocacy at POhWER. You can contact them at any stage in the process.They can provide you with an advocate; a person who will help you to complain, and make sure that you understand your options.

0300 456 2370

The NHS Complaints Advocacy section of the POhWER website has resources to support you to make a complaint by yourself. These are available in a range of languages, as well as Easy Read and large print formats.

What if I’m unhappy with the result of my complaint?

If you are unhappy with the outcome of a complaint about any NHS provider, you can appeal to the Parliamentary and  Health Service Ombudsman.

You can only contact the Ombudsman once the organisation you complained to first have completed their response, or if it has not been sorted out after 6 months.

Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman, Millbank Tower, London SW1P 4QP

0345 015 4033

Who do I complain to about a non-NHS service?

If you would like to complain about private healthcare, or about a social care service (for example day centres, care homes, or carers who help you in your own home), then the complaints process is different.

Social care services are provided by Islington Council. Private healthcare is offered by a range of providers.

If you would like to complain about a non-NHS service (or indeed any health service) contact our information service and we will let you know how to proceed, what support is available, and who you need to contact.

020 7832 5828

Tips and tools for making a complaint

Healthwatch England have worked with Citizens Advice to produce a series of guides to help you make a complaint or raise a concern about any provider of health or social care. There are tips and tools such as letter templates and other practical resources to support you to make an effective complaint.

Find out more